Creating The Page:
- Create a new page (Page » Add New)
- Select the “Blog Page” option in the “Template” field (located in the right sidebar of the edit page section
- If you would like to make this page a front page (to be opened by default when the site is visited) go to Settings » Reading » Front page displays » Select “A static page” and select the page that you have just created in the Front Page list:
Selecting a layout for the page
You can set the page layout in the “Page Layout” field of the page settings section:
You can choose between the following options:
- Left sidebar
- Right sidebar
- Full-width – no sidebar
- Two columns – no sidebar, masonry layout
- Three columns – no sidebar, masonry layout
- Two columns with right sidebar, masonry layout
- Two columns with left sidebar, masonry layout
Selecting a sidebar
By default this page template uses the Default Sidebar. If you would like to use another sidebar, you can create one in the Gossh Options » General » Sidebars section and after that you can set the custom field Sidebar and select the sidebar that you have just created. To customise it you have to go to the Appearance » Widgets and find the selected sidebar. You can drag and drop widgets from the left into it.
Filtering the blog categories
You can select which categories to include only or exclude in the “Select categories to filter” field.
First, select the categories that you would like to include/exclude. After that, select whether you would like to include or exclude those categories in the “Apply action” field. If you select the “include” option, the blog page will show only the posts that are assigned to the selected categories. If you select the “exclude” option, the blog page will show all the posts, except the ones that are assigned to the selected categories.
You can also select whether this action should be applied to sub-categories in the “Apply to sub-categories” field. When this option is enabled, if you have included or excluded a parent category, its subcategories will be also automatically included/excluded.
Defining the number of posts on the blog
In the “Number of posts per page” field of the blog page settings section you can set the number of posts to display on that page.
Enable a blog category filter
The category filter can be enabled from the “Show category filter in header” section of the blog page settings. The category filter shows the categories based on the category filter settings of the page. When you have applied an “exclude” filter, the blog categories will include all the categories, except the ones that have been excluded. When the “include” filter is selected, the blog category filter will include only the selected categories to be included. If you would like to include the subcategories, just make sure that they are selected as well.
Setting a slider to the page
You can select the type of header on the page in the Page Slider/Header custom field of the page. In this field you can select between Fade slider, Content slider and None.
– If you select a slider, you can read about how to create and setup the slider in the Sliders section. Applying a custom background color and background image to the page header. You can read about how to apply a custom background color and background image to the page header in the Changing the default background color and image section.
Setting advanced blog pagination
In order to have advanced pagination enabled on your blog page (as on the screenshot above) you have to install the WP-Pagenavi plugin. You can read more about how to do it the section Plugins included.
The blog posts
Selecting a format for the post
The posts support the following formats: Standard, Gallery, Video, Aside and Quote. The format can be selected in the “Format” section of the post:
Here is an explanation about each of the supported formats:
- Standard – includes a featured image in the beginning of the post. It looks like this:
- You can read here about how to set a featured image to the post.
- Gallery – displays the images from the first gallery in the post as a slider in the beginning of the post. It looks
- Adding the image gallery In order to add a gallery to the post click on the “Add Media” button located above the content editor of the post:
Then click on the “Create Gallery” section on the left, select the images that you would like to add and click on the “Create a new Gallery” button. After this just click on the “Insert Gallery” button to add the gallery to the post.
- Video – will display a video as header of the post. You can set the video URL in the “Video URL” custom field of the post. The theme uses the WordPress shortcode to insert the video, you can see the supported formats on the WordPress Embeds page. We have also included support for Flash videos (with .swf extension).
- Aside – displays a box with text only (the content of the post). It doesn’t include any post information, such as titles, images, etc. It looks like this:
- Quote – displays the post content in a quote style. It looks like this:
- Standard Style
- Title & image in header style
The “Title & image in header” style would display the title and featured image of the post in the header of the post page. Although this style is primarily designed for the default post format, you can still use it with other post formats. For example, if you use set this style to a video post, the featured image would be displayed in the header of the post page and the video would be still displayed at the beginning of the post content section.
You can select the post style in the “Post Style” custom field of the post:
When you select the “Title & image in header” option, you can also set a subtitle and apply a custom background color and image opacity in the “Header Subtitle” and “Header Background Options” sections respectively.
Showing the related posts
The blog posts provide an option to show the related posts at the end of the post content on the single post page:
You can enable/disable the related posts element in the Gossh Options » Post & Page Settings » Blog Posts » Related Posts Section. In this section you can also configure the settings for this element, such as selecting a category to display, the number of columns, etc.
Hiding part of the content of the post with the “Read more” link
Just before the text that you want to be hidden you have to click on the “Insert more tag” button (Alt+Shift)
Enabling threaded comments (with reply functionality)
In order to enable threaded comments, you have to go to Settings » Discussion and check the field “Enable threaded (nested) comments x levels deep”
There is a blog posts option included in the Gossh Options » Post and Page settings » Blog Posts section. In this section you can set some options such as selecting the default single post layout, single post sidebar what info to display for the post (e.g. date, category, etc.).